The 13th century was a kind of boom period of the Middle Ages: thanks to mild climates and rich harvests, the population in present-day Germany doubled. Several settlements were founded - such as the city of Lychen in 1248 and the nearby Himmelpfort monastery in 1299.
At that time, Lychen was not only surrounded by seven lakes, but also by a six-meter high wall. Where the SOMMERFRISCHE house now stands, a canal was dug around 1300 to connect the two lakes Oberpfuhl and Nesselpfuhl (and can now be navigated by canoe as a boat passage).
Monks supervised the construction of the canal. The water was used to drive the mill, which belonged to the monastery and - contrary to medieval tradition - stood within the city walls. Although the mill was rebuilt many times, it was in operation until 1992. Today there is a rustic restaurant just opposite the SOMMERFRISCHE.